Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Awakening

I'm going to take a break from the politically charged, the confrontational, and the carefully thought out posts that have marked my blog and my take on issues for the last several weeks. My post today may not be broadly applicable or even of interest given what I've been known for writing previously; but I feel a huge drive to write my thoughts and feelings about my own experience during Pride month and what I have come to learn about myself. It's long and emotional (for me anyway), but I urge you to read it. If for no other reason, for my selfish desire to open up to others more than I have ever been capable of doing.

With my time in San Francisco culminating (roughly) in Pride this weekend, I thought this a fitting post to end my month of LGBT community posts. Boy, was there community over the weekend. Leaving out the obvious low points (rude people, getting my balls racked purposefully by some girl at the Pride day festivities, and the lack of care and community from some that would likely have a lot to gain from actually going and seeing everything just for what it is), my Pride experience here is one for the books. I marched in the parade alongside my very good friend Ben with Virgin America. I went to bars. I went to parties. I saw friends. I watched people. And I went to the single largest street fair event I've ever seen. I saw things many people (including myself) would never want to see again. I saw things that titillated me. I saw things that saddened me. I saw things that inspired me. But what all of this really did was create an awakening in me that I don't think I'll ever be able to adequately describe. Just writing about it gives me chills and makes me want to open the flood gates of years of stored up tears. I've always been one who has appreciated, nay, celebrated vocabulary and the power of words to effectively communicate. I've been one to say that everything has a rational explanation. I've even been one, at times, to have an almost defiant incomprehension when someone else hasn't been able to adequately characterize events and feelings to me in words. But as I write this post, I throw all of that out of the window. There oftentimes are no rational, well-thought arguments and just as often, simply no words. Period.

I struggle for even a way to broadly describe it. But whatever it is, and whatever has happened to me and the way that I feel and see things, it has been an undeniably life-altering event. My lack of understanding of my own feelings makes me feel so intensely under qualified for life and relationships that I really have no idea how I've gotten this far in my life's journey. However I've done it, I thank my lucky stars. But the wave of consciousness and conviction that has since engulfed me makes me feel like a kid on the first day of school. So nervous that I won't be able to do it. So frightened of how others will see me. And so amazingly inspired and simply delighted that I feel as if I'm on fire from within.

I'm utterly dumbfounded at these seemingly enigmatic concepts within me. Not only did I finally feel part of the LGBT community, but that awareness brought me so much knowledge of myself that I will never, ever forget it. I cannot express to those who have helped me along this journey (which I realize has been a life-long journey) what they have done for me. I feel unworthy of this life's blessing and full of sheer bliss to move forward with what has been hidden in me for so long. Here's to life, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. It's a scary moment when you realize that you really CAN be whatever and whoever you want to be. And that there are like minded people out there who want to take that same risk. Welcome to life on your terms.

    ReplyDelete